Friday, July 20, 2012

Stay

If I Stay, written by Gayle Forman, is the most captivating book I have read in a long time.  I, myself, have many connections to Mia, as many young readers may also have.  Beginning to read, I was wondering where the story was headed.  A quintessential "different" kind of family off for a drive; then, it is all different.
  I thought it was beautiful how Forman unraveled the story of Mia's love and passion for music, and mostly her cello.  I am a very strong advocate for tapping into multiple intelligences, especially in middle school because I played the violin for thirteen years.  I still occasionally bring it out for school functions, and have played it in front of grades three through eight in the Catholic school in which I taught.  Mia's frequent references to becoming one with the music, and losing herself in the bow motions, I can picture because I have experienced.
  I imagine her family dynamic is every child's ideal; parents who are "cool" and "hip".  They seem very down to earth, and tell it how it is.  I loved when the conversation Mia had with her mom about the fallout Mia feared with Adam after dating some time.  Her mom said, "Love's a bitch.  You win, you lose."  She wasn't afraid to tell her daughter the truth, and confront your fears.  Too many times parents don't want their children to feel heartbreak, feel defeat, and feel loss.  When in actuality, her parents exposed her to these feelings.  Choices were made by Mia alone.
  The text was phenomenally written.  Such beautiful discourse, and Forman wasn't overly powerful with shock value.  My favorite paragraph is actually the very end, when she accomplishes what she's been longing- to feel. Page 195- "Somewhere inside of me I am crying, too, because I'm feelings things at last.  I'm feeling not just the physical pain, but all that I have lost, and it is profound and catastrophic and will levee a crate in me that nothing will ever fill."  To me, these words truly expel an emotional response from the reader.  I want to cry for Mia, because I know her life will be hard.  This is no win-win situation.  Like she said, Living is the hard part.
  I can imagine my students talking about the influence of her closest friends to her decision.  I can discuss with them, who, at this stage in their life, is more influential? Some may argue their parents, but many will argue friends and relationships.  Mia was a girl that knew the love for Adam was deeper than a high school relationship, as her mom explained.  Julliard was her goal, and Shooting Star was his.  Together, they'd find a way.
  The life that could be flashed ahead of Mia, and she knew it would be hard.  I couldn't imagine this being an easy conversation in the classroom.  But I can imagine students really opening up about their own decision-making.  Naturally, we don't know how we'd react until the situation arises.  But as eighth graders, students have lived long enough to understand life, death, and finality.
   I think there are a variety of writing samples students could complete with this text.  Interactive journals, letter writing, and reflective note-taking are just a few examples.  I could also have the students consider writing a persuasive letter to Mia from the perspective of Teddy begging her to live.  I would want the perspective to be from a character in the book, so students could use context clues in describing reasons based on that character.

  In reference to the textbook, Young Adult Lit in the Classroom, I found vrious teacher ideas to apply to Forman's book.  Descriptive poems would be a great way to vividly depict some scenes that Mia described throughout the story.  For musically inclined, I would challenge them to write a song or lyrical piece to captivate Mia's struggle.  This would be a great project for eighth graders towards the end of the year because they woud be more comfortable in their classroom setting.  Overall, I am very happy I have come across such a fine read.  This truly is a gem, and  I will recommend this book for my eighth graders in years to come.

4 comments:

  1. You mention that you would recommend this as an eighth-grade read for years to come. To whom would you recommend this book? Is this, in your estimation, a female book only or do you think that eighth-grade males would gain something from having read this novel? Do you think that this story tackles material that is somewhat controversial? How would you answer parents who said that this was an inappropriate read? I think you have the answer!! Is the material inappropriate, in your estimation?

    In addition to some of the writing that you have suggested what would you think about just talking about love...............true love!! Family love? Friend love? Intimate love? Grandparent love? Do you think that this story gives you an opportunity to encourage students to "zero-in" on what is important in life and what positive things they have been given as a result of being surrounded by those who love them? Would you agree that this novel allows and encourages students to think about what is important in life? Would they wish to stay around if all that love had been taken away? One could use the Aurora tragedy of this weekend as an example of "lives that had been snuffed out in an instant" and have students reflect upon comments made by many of the survivors.................what is truly important in this life??????

    What did you think was beautiful about the writing? The dialogue, the descriptions, the storyline, the mystery?????? Share that with us.

    You might want the students who read this story to just write free verse on .................LOVE!!! What is it? Where is it?

    Glad you enjoyed this book. You MUST read the sequel. Dr. Ries

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you listen to the blog that I attached to our LiveText page which is a comment about this novel? What did you think of the author's appraisal of Forman's book? Dr. Ries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In response to the podcast of NPR, some key statements I noted on include:

      Tension can be created with an impossible decisions, not pitch forks and murderers.

      "Which life would she choose, which life would I choose?"

      In a world somewhere between life and death, I agree with the speaker that the audience is captivated into a high anxiety state. Which life would Mia choose for herself? Her decision was lurking around the corner, and it is far different than what many people may ever have to face.
      It is the connection you feel to the main character that captivates the reader. As we stated in class, ideally, girls would naturally be drawn to the romance and character of Mia.
      In a book club setting, it would pave great conversation about life and death, as well as decision making and choices.

      Delete
  3. Lisa, I think the persuasive letter writing is a great assignment. It would provide great analysis of the characters by having the students refer to context clues to help them build a convincing argument from that person.

    ReplyDelete