Friday, July 27, 2012

Gary Paulsen's The River

  A brave and enchanting tale, The River exercises the mind and spirit for optimism and hope.  Paulsen continue's Brian's story: a young boy who was trapped in the woods for fifty-two days with nothing but a hatchet.  He survives, but he will never forget his experiences in mastering the wilderness.  So it isn't a surprise when three men show up at Brian's door asking him to relive the event.
   At first, Brian cannot believe what he is hearing- but then it starts to make sense.  He must recount the events for future boys and girls if they were ever stuck in the woods.  So Derek, the lead companion, encourages Brian's mom and dad to let him go on another expedition.  They will travel to a nearby lake, all new surroundings, and Brian would show Derek how to survive.
   When the plane lands, Brian makes the decision to leave all camping equipment on board- if Derek was going to learn, he needed to know the hard way.  Without too much hesitation, Derek agreed.  The sights and sounds quickly returned, and Brian refocused into survival mode.
  Though the first couple days went smoothly, it quickly reversed with a bolt; Derek had gone into a coma due to a lightning strike.  Now, Brian had to think quickly for the survival of his companion.
   The theme I immediately pick up on is Brian's continued optimism.  From his agreement to revisit the wilderness, to building a raft and traveling one hundred miles downstream, Brian knew what he had to do.  At one point he mentioned, "It had only been forty-right hours since Derek had been asleep, but it became instinctive to check his heart rate and pulse." (approx 110).  He never gave up- and the fact that he could have said no to going back, he could have brought the gear, he could have stayed by the lake. But, he was optimistic- and that's what drove him through his weariness, fog, and hallucinations.
   Paulsen's language is very easy to read and follow.  A mere 132 pages would be a couple of hours for a teenager to accomplish.  The chapters are designed to flow, like a river- one into the next.  He doesn't want you to put the book down, and frankly, the reader doesn't want to either.  Dialogue is limited to show Brian's reliance on himself, and how one must rely on themselves in the wilderness.
    I think this is a great book to use in conjunction with My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.  Sam Gribley is a young, fifteen year old boy, that gives up city life to life in the Catskills with nothing but a knife.  He manages for nearly fifteen months before his family retrieves him.  I would live to use Hatchet and The River as a series set to read with My Side of the Mountain.  Two groups can be divided; half the class reads Hatchet, half reads River, and then the whole class reads My Side.  This way, students can draw conclusions as well as comparisons on how they two young boys made it through in New York.


  This is a gender-neutral novel that is also timeless.  I feel that even though it was written in 1991, twenty-one years ago, it very much can be accepted by classes today.  Brian is very real, and very relatable to students.  They admire his strength and courage to persevere through the river and bring a man back to life.  Chance- this word was said a lot- and I think that Brian exemplifies how chance (and luck) is part of life.

3 comments:

  1. Students love survival themed books. Years ago I taught The Cay by Theodore Taylor - it's comparable to Hatchet and The River in the sense that it's about a boy who learns to survive on a Caribbean cay after his boat is torpedoed by the Germans.
    I never read Hatchet...I think I need to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading The Cay- wonderful story. I agree kids admire those willing to dare and be different- living in the woods might not be their cup of tea, but it is certainly interesting to read about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, Why do I love this book so much? Is it because I enjoy canoeing and white water rafting? Is it that I feel so "at peace" when I am at the lake or on the river? Thank you so much for bringing it back into focus for me. I couldn't agree with you more............the chapters in this book flow, just like the river. It is a page turner for me....even after all of these years. Keep in touch and let me know if today's young students enjoy this book as much as my students did in the 1990s. Dr. Ries

    ReplyDelete